the changing laws surrounding American citizenshipthe changing laws surrounding American citizenship

About Me

the changing laws surrounding American citizenship

The laws surrounding American citizenship and obtaining and maintaining a Green Card are constantly changing. What may be legal and acceptable one month may no longer be the next. If you are working to gain citizenship or a Green Card, the best option for you to consider is hiring an immigration attorney. This blog will provide you with several examples of the changing laws and regulations so that you can gain a better understanding of what you will have to do to obtain the documentation that you want and need. Hopefully, everything provided here will help with your journey in America.

Latest Posts

Immigration Tips For Those Marrying A Prospective Immigrant
26 February 2019

Immigration fraud is a serious concern and a very

How To Know If You Qualify For An L Visa
30 June 2018

If you intend to come to the US to work on an L Vi

3 Great Reasons To Hire An Immigration Attorney
13 February 2017

Immigration law is notoriously complex, and attemp

How An Immigration Lawyer May Be Able To Assist You
1 December 2015

Sure, you might have the right and the ability to

Using Assets In An Affadavit Of Support To Sponsor A Family Member's Immigration
27 August 2015

One important aspect of filling out a family petit


How To Know If You Qualify For An L Visa

If you intend to come to the US to work on an L Visa, you will need to determine if you will need a L-1A or L-1B visa. For both visas, you will need to work for an organization or company for at least one year. This year must be within three years of your admission into the United States.

One of the differences between L visas and the more widely-known H1-B visa is that there is no cap on how many individuals a company can grant an L visa to. There are also no labor certification requirements. Spouses are able to apply for L-2 visas and are able to use this to obtain employment.

L-1A Visas

If you are an executive or manager within an overseas company, you may need to be transferred to a subsidiary in the US. You must be entering the United States with the goal of providing an executive or managerial function within that subsidiary.

You are considered an executive if you are able to make decisions without oversight. If you are in a managerial capacity, you have the ability to supervise and control the work of professionals. You may also have the ability to manage an essential function without oversight and make independent decisions. 

Your company must prove that they have room on their premises to house a new office for you and then room on their staff to support the executive function of you, the visa-holder.

L-1B Visas

However, if you are looking to be transferred on an intra-company basis because of your specialized knowledge, you will need a L-1B visa. To qualify, you must have specialized knowledge that you will use in the service of your employer for at least one year. For example, you must have specialized knowledge of your company's product, a unique process that your company engages in, or the market your company is involved in.

Why You Need an Attorney

The US government is concerned about occasional abuses of L visas and wants to verify whether individuals actually qualify for an L visa. For this reason, you should consider getting in contact with an immigration attorney who has experience with these types of visas and can help you to prove your qualification.

Also, the length at which you are allowed to stay working in the US is often restricted to one to three years. You may then extend your stay in two year increments, but you may need the assistance of an attorney to help you with this process.